Monday, July 21, 2014

Three Principles to Help You Make Better Decisions

I can remember being in a church study session one time, and the discussion was about serving in the church.  The statement was made to an overcommitted person, “Actually, maybe God is asking someone else to step up and fill the position.” 

In my church organization, we have nominating committees every one or two years depending on the church.  My personal pet peeve is individuals who get nominations for five or six positions, which I fully support as this allows them to choose, but often the people would accept all of the positions with no balk from the other committee members. 

What usually follows next are resignation letters six months down the road, or positions that simply have a name attached to them with no action.  As a matter of fact, I was one of those over committed people.  I would feel overwhelmed with all of the positions and not do any of them well.

I hope to help you prevent becoming over-committed with three practical guidelines.  These principles are from a sermon by Mark Finley.  I wish I could share the entire thing with you here, but I will only select a few principles.  Please feel free to contact me for the sermon link and notes I took.

Know the Difference between Impulse and Impression
I found this enlightening.  Impulse is flighty and must act now, whereas impressions will constantly grow and cannot be shaken.  The caveat here though is that not all impressions are guided by biblical principles.  That’s the reason it is imperative to weigh your decisions in light of the Bible. 

Seek Counselors
This too has saved me…at least when I took heed to the advice given.  The counselors should be mature Christian’s that are not trying to make the decision for you.  Additionally, you need to guard against seeking counselors who are only going to tell you what you want to hear

Guard Against Impulsiveness
The number one way to guard against impulsiveness is to never make decisions in the presence of the one who wants you to make the decision.  I cannot tell you how often this has helped me to work within my calling, and not fall prey to the pressures of other people’s emergencies.  On the flip side of this coin though, you will never know if it is your will or God’s will until you are willing to give up the thing you most cherish.

What does all of this have to do with Breaking your Nature?  Well, if you are overwhelmed, over-worked, or just plain empty, then you need to make a change in how you are making decisions for what you will spend your time doing.  Next week’s post will bring some balance to the subject of being over-committed.


Nick Massey is a Life Coach, Speaker, and Writer.  To read more from Nick Massey, or to schedule him for a Life Coaching session, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at http://www.coachmassey.com. © 2014 Nick Massey

No comments:

Post a Comment