Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Personal Post: 3 Things that are Important to Me

Before we go any further, I want to be up front.  While these are three of my core values, I don’t always incorporate them into my life.  For example…well I’ll just save the explanations for below. 

Balance
Balance has become more important for me over the past two or three years.  I have learned to compensate in this area by asking my wife for advice, and putting solid mentors around me who are older and well…balanced. 

I’ll give you an example of what I mean by balanced.

Sometimes people can let school, work, or even church (all good things) come before their family.  For some people all four are necessary.  The struggle is to find the sweet spot where all areas are met with excellence and at the right time. 

Recently, while trying to juggle all of these areas, I developed a mantra that helped me to keep things in perspective.  It was, People before projects.  Again, this is not an easy, but the reality of it is this, people are more important than the things we do. 

Simplicity
Simplicity is something that I came across my senior year in high school.  I have always been somewhat of an idealist.  I remember reading about Henry David Thoreau and thinking, “That’s it!  I’ll runaway to my own Walden!”  While this is still a great idea, I found that I would only be living with a new set of problems.

The principle was right, but the practice was wrong.  I wanted a more simple life devoid of all the stimulation, evil, and conflict.  The funny thing is that now I have a deep appreciation for conflict.  More on that in the next blog post. 

Back to simplicity. It has been my experience that de-cluttering is cardinal.  I de-clutter my belongings, time thieves, and spiritual commitments.  This helps me to free my mind for change.

Consistency
Consistency is closely related to balance.  Let me explain.  Have you ever tried to balance on your weak leg?  Finding the sweet spot was balance, but how long you were able to hold that was consistency. 

The great thing is this.  If you practice balancing on your weak leg a lot, then the amount of time you can hold that position becomes greater.  The point is that in striving for balance your consistency will typically increase. 

Now that you know a little about me, I would like to hear what values are important to you.  Please comment in the boxes below. 
Wrapping it Up
How does this relate to lasting lifestyle change?  Simple.  People who compromise their values are miserable.  Sometimes, this misery drives people to change.  I encourage you to identify your values, set goals and make a plan to achieve them.  If you need help, that is what I am here for.  Use my contact info below and we will see if Life Coaching is a good fit for you.  Break your Nature!

Nick Massey is a Life Coach, Speaker, and Writer.  To read more from Nick Massey, or to schedule him for a Life Coaching session, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website at http://www.coachmassey.com. © 2014 Nick Massey


No comments:

Post a Comment